The map notes the location of villages that made up Twist parish in
the 19th century.
For a current detailed map of this area search on any of the villages mentioned
with MapQuest or click on location with http://www.vukv.weser-ems.de/stadtplan/stadtplan.htm.
The image of the parish church of Twist was taken from
webpage Twist Erleben http://www.twist-emsland.de
St. George Catholic parish was located in Twist, which was in
the Herzogtum Arenberg-Meppen in Hannover in the 19th century (now in Emsland.) Ruehlertwist
and Hesepertwist were villages also located in the Herzogtum Arenberg-Meppen.
Nieuw Schoonebeek was located in the neighboring country of Holland. Catholic
residents of that village belonged to St. George parish in Twist until
1850 when a parish was established in their own village.
Neuringe and Adorf, in the 19th century, were located in Grafschaft Bentheim,
Hannover. Catholic residents of those two villages belonged to St. George parish in
Twist. The two villages are now within the borders of Emsland.
Kirchspiel (parish) Twist in the 19th century contained the
following villages or small towns:
- Hesepertwist, Emsland
N Schoonebeek, Holland
St. Georg Church
The moor colonies Hesepertwist and Ruehlertwist were
founded in 1788. Colonists in Hesepertwist originally belonged to the parish in Gross
Hesepe and those in Ruehlertwist to the parish in Meppen. The first church service was
held in Twist in 1799 in the school. A separate building was then built which served as
church until 1820 when the first small church was completed. A new church was built in
1855 and enlarged in 1890-91. In 1964-66 the present-day church was built which kept the
tower from the older church. The Bentheim villages of Adorf and Neuringe were added to
Twist parish in 1829 and 1830. Today the village of Twist has an additional parish - St
Ansgar. Parish records for St Georg exist for baptisms, marriages and deaths from 1799.
Most information taken from Handbuch des Bistums Osnabrueck, compiled
by Hermann Stieglitz and published by Bischoefliches Generalikariat Osnabrueck.
top of page