This map of Kirchspiel Steinbild notes the location of villages
that made up Steinbild parish in the 19th century.
For a current detailed map of this area search on any of the villages mentioned
with MapQuest or click on location with http://www.vukv.weser-ems.de/stadtplan/stadtplan.htm.
The church image is a detail from page 159 of "Steinbild an
der Ems," one of the many beautiful photographs in Werner Franke's book Emsland,
Bilder einer Landschaft, 1997, Emslandischer Heimatbund.
The parish of Steinbild existed from at least 1304 and was probably
founded before that date. Renovations took place in 1512, in 1715, and again in the 20th
century. Baptism, marriage and death records for St Georg parish exist from 1647 with gaps
The village of Dersum, referred to as Dersinum in an 11th century
document of Closter Corvey, belonged to the parish of Steinbild for many centuries.
Because high water during the winter made it difficult to cross the Ems River, a chapel
was built in Dersum in 1864-66 with its patron saint as St Antonius der Einsiedler.
Neudersum was founded in 1788 as a moor colony and belonged to Steinbild parish until 1822
when it was transferred to Dersum.
|Kirchspiel (parish) Steinbild in the 19th century contained the
following villages or small towns:
|Walchum was referred to as Walkiun on
documentation between 965 and 983. Sustrum existed as Suhtram in the 11th
century, according to a document of Closter Corvey, and it belonged to the parish of
Steinbild until 1954. The church in Sustrum predates the separation of the village from
Steinbild, with the church of St Nikolaus dating from 1923. Neusustrum was another one of
the moor colonies founded in 1788 and belonged to the parish of Steinbild until 1871/74.
information about this parish was taken from the Handbuch des Bistums Osnabrueck,
compiled by Hermann Stieglitz and published by Bischoefliches Generalvikariat Osnabrueck.
top of page