Rhede was referred to as Hretha in a
document dating from 822-836. The parish of Reyde was established in 1296 and the
old St Nikolaus church was built in 1470. This building has since been replaced as the
parish church by a new building dating from the early 20th century. The old church was
restored in 1960 and is now a memorial for those who died in war in the former Kreise
Aschendorf-Huemmling. St Nikolaus Parish baptism and marriage records exist from 1655 but
with gaps. The parish death records begin in 1700.
Brual also has a long history and was referred to as Bruale in 1483. Neurhede
was founded as a moor-colony in 1788. Neurhede and Brual both belonged to the parish of
Rhede throughout the 19th century but each of these locations has had its own parish
church since the early in the 20th century.
All information about this parish was taken from the Handbuch des Bistums
Osnabrueck, compiled by Hermann Stieglitz and published by Bischoefliches
top of page