.

 

 

 

 

 

 

ship4.gif (1761 bytes)

Emsland Parishes

Kirchspiel Papenburg

  
home.gif (868 bytes)  Emslanders to the American Mid-West
placeHolder.gif (861 bytes) placeHolder.gif (861 bytes) placeHolder.gif (861 bytes)

Papenburg - St. Antonius Parish

mapKspPapenburg.jpg (18395 bytes)

This map of Kirchspiel Papenburg simply shows the town's   location with relationship to the neigboring parish of Aschendorf and to the northern border of Emsland with Ostfriesland. The size of the town on this map reflects its present size, not how large it was in the 19th century.
For a current detailed map of this area search on the town name using   MapQuest or click on location with http://www.vukv.weser-ems.de/stadtplan/stadtplan.htm.

The image of St Antonius church (at right) was taken from the website  http://www.juergen-koerner.de/papenbg.htm which also has photos of other places in  Papenburg.

Kirchspiel (parish) Papenburg did not include any neighboring villages in the 19th century.
 
 

Papenburg St Antonius.jpg (16566 bytes)

St. Antonius

Located on Emsland's border with Ostfriesland, Papenburg was the most distant fortress of Niederstift Muenster. It was referred to twice in mid-15th century documentation at which time it was located in Kirchspiel Voellen in Ostfriesland. Catholic services were held in Papenburg from 1668 until 1671 by the Meppen-based Jesuits and from 1680 on through Aschendorf-based Franciscans. The first Catholic church was built in Papenburg 1674-78 and named St Antonius von Padua after the patron saint of the Aschendorf-based Franciscans. This became a parish in 1680. The church, which was enlarged in 1777/78, was used until a new church was built 1873-77. St. Antonius Parish records for baptisms, marriages and deaths exist from 1677-78.

Today there are additional churches serving the city of Papenburg. St Michael dates from 1869 as a parish but existed earlier as a chapel serving the Obenende section of the city. Marriage records begin there in 1869 but the parish has baptism and death records from 1807. More recently established parishes are St Marien on the Splitting Canal which dates from 1954 and St Josef in Vosseberg from 1978.

This information for the parishes in Papenburg was taken from the Handbuch des Bistums Osnabrueck, compiled by Hermann Stieglitz and published by Bischoefliches Generalvikariat Osnabrueck.

top of page


Links pertaining to Kirchspiel Papenburg

 

top of page


Papenburg Parish Emigrants

At present only one emigrant from Papenburg has been
identified as someone who settled in the Mid-West.

To link to a fuller entry for the person named below use the surname index.
The last update made to the list was Jul 2003.

 

Emigrant

Born

Parents' Names

Village
of Birth

Emi-
gration

Known
USA location(s)

Schwennen Anna

1827

Schwennen, Gerhard
Rose, Thecla

Papenburg

After
1857

Adams Co, IL

top of page


[Return to Catholic Parishes in Emsland in the Nineteenth Century]
[home]


Comments or additional information concerning
emigrants listed on this website can be sent to Barbara Salibi.
Contact info is at the bottom of Home page.