The map notes the location of villages that made up Herzlake parish
in the 19th century.
For a current detailed map of this area search on any of the villages mentioned
with MapQuest or click on location with http://www.vukv.weser-ems.de/stadtplan/stadtplan.htm.
The image of the Lorup parish church was taken from website http://www.erholungsgebiet-huemmling.de/
|Kirchspiel (parish) Lorup in the 19th century included the following
villages or small towns:
Lorup (Ladorpp), as a place, existed already in
the 11th century at which time it was part of the parish of Werlte. By 1614 it had gained
some independence and was a daughter-parish of Werlte but was still served by the priest
of the mother-parish. By 1651 it was an independent parish. The present church Mariae
Himmelfahrt (Assumption) was built in 1834/35. Parish records of baptisms, marriages
and deaths for Mariae Himmelfahrt in Lorup exist from 1700 with a gap in the
The villages of Esterwegen and Bockhorst belonged to the parish of Lorup throughout the
19th century. It was in the beginning of the 20th century that Esterwegen became an
independent parish although parish records are availabel from 1808. Its church, St
Johannes der Taeufer (St John the Baptist), was built in 1896/97. Bockhorst became a
part of the parish in Esterwegen but is now joined with Neuburlage (Ostfriesland) as an
independent parish, with its church, Maria von der Immerwaehrenden Hilfe (Mother of
Perpetual Help), built in 1970.
In the list/index of registered emigrants from Kirchspiel Lorup in the Staatsarchiv in
Osnabrueck, it appears that the primary destination for persons from this parish was
Cincinnati, OH and the neighboring town of Covington, KY. St Louis, MO also appeared
regularly as a destination and less frequently were listed Louisville, KY, Fort Wayne, IN
and Vincennes, IN.
Most information taken from Handbuch des Bistums Osnabrueck, compiled
by Hermann Stieglitz and published by Bischoefliches Generalikariat Osnabrueck.
top of page