The map notes the location of villages that made up Lingen parish
in the 19th century.
For a current detailed map of this area search on any of the villages mentioned
with MapQuest or click on location with http://www.vukv.weser-ems.de/stadtplan/stadtplan.htm.
Lingen was probably the place referred to in a 10th century document as Liinga.
The parish in this town dates from 1250 and St Walburga, the original parish church, stood
where the present-day Protestant Reformed Church stands. By the mid 16th century St
Walburga Church had been taken from the Catholics and given to the Protestants even though
they were very few in number. This was done because Grafschaft Lingen was then
under the rule of the Protestant House of Orange of Holland. During the Verbannungszeit,
(the period of exile for Catholics lasting from 1674 until 1718) which followed, services
were held in sheep stable in Hohendarme in Schepsdorf parish which belonged to the
Bishop-Prince of Muenster. From 1786 to 1836, services were held again in Lingen but in a Notkirche,
a modest half-timber building.
|Kirchspiel (parish) Lingen in the 19th century included the following
villages or small towns:
|The present-day parish church of St Boniface, co-patron saint
with St Walburga, was built in Lingen in 1836-38 with additions and renovations made in
1904, 1910, 1954 and 1972/73. Parish records exist from 1616 with gaps in baptisms from
1681 to 1703 and in deaths in 1618, 1620/21, 1631, 1649-60 and 1662.
Of the villages
which belonged to St Boniface parish in the 19th century, a few now have their own
churches - Biene with Holthause (1953), Laxten (1955) and Broegbern (1963.)
Wachendorf became part of Dalum parish in 1955.
Most information taken from Handbuch des Bistums Osnabrueck, compiled
by Hermann Stieglitz and published by Bischoefliches Generalikariat Osnabrueck.
top of page