This map of Kirchspiel Lathen notes the location of villages that
made up Lathen parish in the 19th century.
For a current detailed map of this area search on any of the villages mentioned
with MapQuest or click on location with http://www.vukv.weser-ems.de/stadtplan/stadtplan.htm.
The church image was taken from the Lathen, St Vitus homepage
Lathen was probably founded as a parish in the missionary district of
Meppen around 800 and became part of the holdings of the Closter Corvey in 834. In
documents dating from the 11th century the place was known as Lodon and Lodun
and in the 14th century as Lothen. Baptism records for St Vius exist from 1651
with gaps 1673-94, marriages from 1651 with gaps 1764-67, and deaths from 1652 with gaps
Oberlangen and Niderlangen were referred to in an 11th century document as
Longun. They were part of the parish of Lathen for many centuries but since 1919
they have had their own parish, St Laurentius.
|Kirchspiel (parish) Lathen in the 19th century contained the following
villages or small towns: