.

 

 

 

 

 

 

ship4.gif (1761 bytes)

Emsland Parishes

Kirchspiel Klein Berssen

  
home.gif (868 bytes)  Emslanders to the American Mid-West
placeHolder.gif (861 bytes) placeHolder.gif (861 bytes) placeHolder.gif (861 bytes)

Klein Berssen - Herz Jesu Parish

mapKspBerssen.jpg (23654 bytes)

The map notes the location of villages that made up Herzlake parish in the 19th century.
For a current detailed map of this area search on any of the villages mentioned with  MapQuest or click on location with http://www.vukv.weser-ems.de/stadtplan/stadtplan.htm.

The image of Herz Jesu church was taken from website http://www.erholungsgebiet-huemmling.de/
sites/hue2_klberssen.php

Kirchspiel (parish) Klein Berssen in the 19th century included the following villages or small towns:
Gross Berssen
Klein Berssen
 

Kl Berssen church.jpg (12301 bytes)

Herz Jesu

 

A parish in Klein Berssen was founded in the 12th or 13the century but Klein Berssen existed as a place before that time. As early as 919 Klein and Gross Berssen, known as Bernsiun and had connections to Bokeloh. The present-day church in Klein Berssen was built in 1897 but the oldest part of the previous church is believed to date back to 1218. The patron saint of the parish is St John the Baptist. Baptism, marriage and death records for the parish exist from 1764 with gaps in the death book from 1812-14.

Most information taken from Handbuch des Bistums Osnabrueck, compiled by Hermann Stieglitz and published by Bischoefliches Generalikariat Osnabrueck.

top of page


Links pertaining to Kirchspiel Klein Berssen

top of page


[Return to Catholic Parishes in Emsland in the Nineteenth Century]
[home]


Comments or additional information concerning
emigrants listed on this website can be sent to Barbara Salibi.
Contact info is at the bottom of Home page.