Herzlake first appeard in documentation in 890 as Hirutloge.
The 13 century church remains a part of the present-day church which was greatly enlarged
in 1966-68. The New-gothic west tower dates from 1870. Parish records for baptisms,
marriages and deaths for Herzlake exist from 1708.
Dohren was part of the parish of Herzlake throughout the 19th century but since 1910
has its own parish, St Bernardus. Another village which was in Herzlake parish and now has
a church of its own is Westrum with St Antonius von Padua church dating from 1896.
Most information taken from Handbuch des Bistums Osnabrueck, compiled
by Hermann Stieglitz and published by Bischoefliches Generalikariat Osnabrueck.
top of page