ship4.gif (1761 bytes)

Emsland Parishes

Kirchspiel Haren

home.gif (868 bytes)  Emslanders to the American Mid-West
placeHolder.gif (861 bytes) placeHolder.gif (861 bytes) placeHolder.gif (861 bytes)

Haren - St. Martinus Parish

mapKspHaren.jpg (13186 bytes)

This map of Kirchspiel Haren notes the location of villages that made up Haren parish in the 19th century.
For a current detailed map of this area search on any of the villages mentioned with  MapQuest or click on location with http://www.vukv.weser-ems.de/stadtplan/stadtplan.htm.

Kirchspiel (parish) Haren in the 19th century contained the following villages or small towns:

No photo has been placed here of the old parish church in Haren because all photos of St Martinus found on the internet were of the new church built 1908-11.

Haren, as Harun, dates back to the 11th and 12th centuries when the Burg Haren was bought by Bishop Friedrich I of Muenster. An economic center developed around the burg and church located on the Ems River which, with good water level, could be navigated to that point. The old church, which was used up until the end of the last century, was probably built in the 13th century and enlarged around 1490. St Martinus in Haren is known to have existed as a parish from at least 1379. Baptism, marriage and burial records for St Martinus exist from 1869/70 but all books have numerous gaps.

The Burg of Landegge and a chapel nearby have existed since the 12th century. Landegge belonged to the parish of Haren although originally it may may have belonged to the parish of Wesuwe. The village of Emmeln was referred to in a document in 1160 as Eimblem then in 1427/28 as Emelen in the parish of Haren. The chapel of St Laurentius was completely restored in 1960 and since 1967 Emmeln has had a parish of its own, St Josef.

All information about this parish was taken from the Handbuch des Bistums Osnabrueck, compiled by Hermann Stieglitz and published by Bischoefliches Generalvikariat Osnabrueck.

top of page

Links pertaining to Kirchspiel Haren

top of page

[Return to Catholic Parishes in Emsland in the Nineteenth Century]

Comments or additional information concerning
emigrants listed on this website can be sent to Barbara Salibi.
Contact info is at the bottom of Home page.