Hesepe was referred to as Hasba and Hasbe
in documents from the 12th and 13th centuries. Originally the parish was part of Meppen
but was referred to as a Kirchspiel (parish) in 1365. Part of the original church
was kept in renovations which enlarged the church in the 16th century and again in the
20th century. Parish records for baptisms exist from 1612 (the earliest in the diocese)
with gaps 1614-16 and 1628-46. Marriage records start in 1617 with gaps 1625-46 and
1712-27. Death records begin 1621 with gaps 1631-47.
Hesepertwist was part of the parish of Gross Hesepe until 1820 when it became part of
the parish of Twist. Schwartenpohl, also part of Gross Hesepe parish in the 19th century,
was transferred to the parish of Wietmarschen in 1912.
Most information taken from Handbuch des Bistums Osnabrueck, compiled
by Hermann Stieglitz and published by Bischoefliches Generalikariat Osnabrueck.
top of page