This map of Kirchspiel Boerger notes the location of villages that
made up Herzlake parish in the 19th century.
For a current detailed map of this area search
on any of the villages mentioned with MapQuest.
The image of the church is from the book Landschaften im
Emsland; Der Huemmling mit Soegel, Werlte und Nordhuemmling, p. 115
|Kirchspiel (parish) Boerger in the 19th century contained the
following villages or small towns:
Several of the villages which belonged to
Kirchspiel Boerger in the 19th century now have their own parish churches. Neuboerger and
Breddenberg were both founded in 1788 as a moor colonies. They belonged to the parish in
Boerger throughout the 19th century but are now independent parishes. Herz Jesu
church was built in Neuboerger in 1885-87 and St Michael church was built in
Breddenberg in 1823-24. Boergermoor and Boergerwald were not settled until the late 1870s
and early 1880s, which was toward the end of the period of greatest emigration from
Germany to America. These villages belonged to the parish in Boerger for a while but but
now each has its own church, St. Johannes der Taeufer (St John the Baptist) in
Boergermoor and St Joseph in Boergerwald, both built 1911-13.
Most information taken from Handbuch des Bistums Osnabrueck, compiled
by Hermann Stieglitz and published by Bischoefliches Generalvikariat Osnabrueck.
top of page