The map notes the location of villages that made up Bawinkel parish
in the 19th century.
For a current detailed map of this area search on any of
the villages mentioned with MapQuest.
The image at right of St. Alexander
parish church was found on a webpage no longer online -
|Kirchspiel (parish) Bawinkel in the 19th century included the
following villages or small towns:
|Bawinkel, which has had a church since the 13th or 14th
century, was referred to in 1456 as Bafwinckele. During the Verbannungszeit,
the period of exile for Catholics in Grafschaft Lingen, church services were held first in
a sheep stable in the part of Bramhar belonging to Meppen and then in a half-timber
structure near Gelshof in Haseluenne parish. When Catholic church services were again
allowed in Grafschaft Lingen, the half-timber church building near Gelshof was dismantled
and the reassembled as a Notkirche in Bawinkel because the old church had been
given to the Reformed Protestants by the Protestant Dutch rulers of Grafschaft Lingen.
This Notkirche, enlarged in 1765-68 and again in 1822, remained in use until the
early 1900s. The present-day church of St. Alexander was built in 1904/05. Parish records
begin in 1625 for baptisms and marriages and in 1721 for deaths.
taken from Handbuch des Bistums Osnabrueck, compiled by Hermann Stieglitz and
published by Bischoefliches Generalikariat Osnabrueck.
top of page