This map of Kirchspiel Aschendorf notes the location of villages
that made up Aschendorf parish in the 19th century.
For a current detailed map of this area search
on any of the villages mentioned with MapQuest.
The black and white image of St Amandus church
is from the book Staedte und Doerfer im Emsland,
For a color image of the same church viewed from
the other side see the St Amandus Wikipedia page: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/
|Kirchspiel (parish) Aschendorf in the 19th century contained the
following villages or small towns:
Hofe (by Bokel)
Werde (in Heede municipality)
|Aschendorf was referred to early documentation
(891-1037) as Asikinthorpe. The original parish chuch St Amandus was built in the
13th century with major renovations taking place ca 1500 and again more recently in 1969.
Baptism, marriage and death records for St Amandus parish exist from the 1670s but with a
Borsum also has a long history, having been referred to as Bursine
between 891 and 1037. A chapel was built there in 1515 but the present-day church of St
Anna dates from 1819. This place has been attached to Rhede since 1986. Neulehe was
founded as a moor-colony in 1788 and belonged to the parish in Aschendorf throughout the
19th century. Lehe also belonged to Kirchspiel Aschendorrf in the 19th century but now has
its own parish church, Herz Jesu which was built in 1914. And Tunxdorf and
Nenndorf, part of Aschendorf parish throughout the 19th century, now have their own
All information was taken fromthe Handbuch des Bistums Osnabrueck,
compiled by Hermann Stieglitz and published by Bischoefliches Generalvikariat Osnabrueck.
top of page